TIP OF THE WEEK
Good mental health is important to your overall health. And since it’s Mental Health Week in Canada, we wanted to share some things that you can do to improve your mood:
- Identify how you are feeling. It can be hard to admit to yourself that you aren’t feeling okay, but identifying how you are feeling is the first step to feeling better. Write in a journal or reach out to a friend or family member you can trust.
- Focus on your own self care. Self care looks different for everyone; find ways that help you relax, rewind, and destress. Perhaps it's taking a hot bath, going for a walk, doing some yoga, taking some time to meditate, or unplugging from social media.
- Eat foods rich in vitamins and minerals that can help to boost your overall mood. These include bananas, berries, walnuts, salmon, and dark chocolate.
- Reduce the amount of alcoholic beverages and caffeine you intake, as they could be having negative effects on your mental health.
- Spend time outside in the sun. Vitamin D can help to improve and regulate your mood.
Most importantly, if you aren’t feeling okay speak with your doctor or seek mental health resources in your community who can help you - because your mental health matters.